Thursday, January 15, 2009

Food is Delicious. Let's Make it Nutritious.

So my girlfriend, Scripture Mom (who is worthy of an entire post devoted just to her and the book she had recently published) asked me to post some healthy recipes. . . can you say daunting task? I mean, yes I can post what I think is healthy, but that gets really subjective & exposes me to the world of just where I fall on the junk/health continuum. Nevertheless, I press forward with courage! But forbear on your judgments of health content. Consider me a health recipe in progress.

First, I will share with you what I ate for breakfast and lunch today and then, my dear friends, THEN, I will share with you a food blog that is much higher on the health scale than I could ever aspire to be! In fact, you may just want to scroll down to the bottom and learn more about this Good Looking Cooking Girl right away.

If you're dying of curiosity to know what I ate for breakfast and lunch today, then read away.

Breakfast. Today I ate steel cut oats with sliced organic peaches (Costco frozen section). It did have a feather light dusting of brown sugar, really just the slightest breath of brown sugar. The peaches were so lovely that the sugar was just for show. It made for a charming visual. The whole breakfast experience today was delicious and most satisfying. The oats cook up quickly in this, which I have most certainly mentioned before. I find it an indispensable kitchen tool (at least when I'm trying to eat healthy!)


As an aside I will note that yesterday I had some of Trader Joe's Organic Vanilla Yogurt with fresh blueberries (also from T.J.'s) with a side of cottage cheese and First Crush Apple Sauce. I'm pretty sure that the manna God gave to the wandering Israelites must have tasted much like Trader Joe's Organic Vanilla Yogurt; doubtless the texture was completley different.

As for lunch,




it was what I like to call "Leftovers Go Gourmet" only really its not that gourmet at all (see, I'm showing the world how ungourmet I actually am. This would have only been considered Gourmet in the late 80's and now its passe, but it still tastes great!) I look in the fridge and put together all the leftovers that have anything to do with what I consider a Mexican Food style salad. Today the fridge offered me up:

black beans
corn (organic, frozen Costco section. Delisciouso!)
broccoli

(Most days I have leftover rice, which I would have added if we'd had any.)

I stir up a few spoonfuls of each and pop it in the microwave. Then on a warm tortilla, I layer

a generous handful of baby spinach
my warmed mexican medly
some grape tomatoes, sliced in half
one baby carrot's worth of carrot shavings

**Health note: Check the fat content of your tortillas. We used to get La-La's which are out of this world yummy for straight from the package style tortillas. Then I discovered it has out of this world fat content. 11 grams per tortilla. Ay Yi Yi! So I switched back to mission which is 4 gms. You could easily skip the tortilla all together if you want to reduce carbs and fat and just put it over rice and add a few corn chips for crunch (or even diced celery. Just so long as there's something crunchy. The crunch is mandatory!)

To make it taste good I mixed up the following kitchen staples:




as a dressing of sour cream, yogurt (the manna kind again) and T.J.'s medium Salsa Especial in a ratio of 1:1:2. The salsa is actually too hot for me on its own (surprising even to me) but it is one of Richard's favorites so we have it on hand with great regularity. Then I spoon a little bit of this over top and roll it all up wrap style. I love it. Maddie and Jacob have acquired a taste for it as well.

As you true health nuts may notice, I have many areas where I could be healthier. . .brown rice instead of white, low fat sour cream, plain yogurt instead of vanilla, and throw out the tortillas altogether! I am not at that level, but my lunch tasted good.

And now I urge you with all the coaxing and goading of a friend who is slightly crossing the line into annoyingly bossy mode, to get yourself over to my SIL's new food blog because, ladies and gentlemen (really, how many men have actually ever read my blog? but it sounds better to include the men), because this woman IS at the health food PINNACLE. Exaggerate I do not. I mean if you were to make a line graph of ultra healthy foods and juxtapose it with ultra tasty foods, she has taken up residence at the intersection of these two lines! She lives there, every day, in every way. This woman has walked out of Japanese food restaurants that don't serve brown rice even when she was really hungry because she doesn't like the way white rice tastes anymore. That is how far she has come. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and comes up with all sorts of genius ways to make healthy food taste fabulous. I know, as I get to eat her turkey every Thanksgiving. Check it out. Do not be afraid of words like "succant" or "agave". Consider yourself on a culinary journey that will take you to the mythical land where Flavorville and Healthy Town live peacefully as one.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

I need to enter the world of Flavorville and Healthy town, it sounds divine. Anyway maybe you can cook me up some manna, I'll see you this afternoon! Or maybe we could just go to sweet cakes for a cookie and enter the world of the fat lady mentality, it's not all that bad I assure you.

Becky said...

Because as we know, in FLM (fat lady mentality) every time you walk into a Target, you get to slurp a slurpie while you munch on your hot buttered pretzel. But hold the salt. Too much salt is not healthy!

Melissa said...

Wow, you just inspired me to do better.
I need to go try that yogurt now.

What did you decide about Annie?

I am so jealous that your going to have a new baby soon.

Kara said...

Thanks for sharing. I always wondered if those pricey frozen peaches at Costco were any good. I think I will buy that TJ salsa and maybe even the yogurt (after I read the ingredients) I can't believe I told you about leaving that restuarant bacause of the rice, now I'm embarassed. I appreciate all the kind words and loved that you used the word "juxtapose," I've always wanted to use that word.

pam said...

What the heck does succant mean? It all sounded really tasty.

Becky said...

Mom, here's the low down on Sucanat (which is a concatenation of Sugar Cane Natural) is non-refined cane sugar that has not had the molasses removed from it like refined white sugar. It is essentially pure dried sugar cane juice.

Just replace it with brown or white sugar if you don't use sucanat!

Anne Marie said...

That salad looks simple and amazing. I love all your ideas here and am so impressed by your commitment to eating well.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Thank you so much! Oatmeal for breakfast really is the best. And your lunch is something I will definitely be trying.